Want to make way for new clothes in your closet while putting some extra cash in your pocket? You’re in the right place! Whether your old digs are designer or Old Navy — you can bet someone will be willing to buy. And not only is the world of online consignment fun and fruitful, but it’s also environmentally conscious. Win-win-win.
Where to Sell Your Clothes 👚
First things first: Let’s take a quick peek at 6 of the top sites to sell your clothes online.
- Poshmark – A website and app for selling clothes and also offers a social networking feature that makes it fun and easy to interact with the community.
- Thredup – An online thrift store whose aim is to modernize thrifting to help alleviate the fashion waste crisis.
- Depop – A fashion marketplace app where you can find and sell unique and vintage fashion in an environmentally friendly way.
- The RealReal – An online and brick-and-mortar store focused on luxury goods. They authenticate every item sold on the platform.
- Grailed – A website and app focused on the resale of high-quality streetwear and designer pieces for men.
6 Secrets to Sell Your Clothes Online
1. Take great pics 📸
Would you want to buy a pair of jeans shown on the floor with dark, scary lighting? No way! Clear, bright pics are a fool-proof way to get your buyers’ attention. Try using a premium camera or phone, natural lighting, and make sure that you show all angles of your clothing. If the clothing has any flaws, don’t be afraid to show them! It’s better to be honest about the damage to gain a shopper’s trust.
2. Write a poetic description ✍️
People get nervous buying used clothes online. To ease any concern, take a bit more time to write a thorough and detailed description of the item that you’re trying to sell. Talk about how often it has been worn or mention the age of the item. This may make a buyer more likely to say “yes” to the dress!
3. Be super responsive 🤗
Let’s be real: our attention spans are getting shorter and shorter. Once you start receiving requests from customers, it’s key that you reply quickly! If you wait too long to respond, you may lose your buyer’s attention to someone else’s store, or Instagram, or TikTok… You get the gist!
4. Think of shipping costs 💰
Items may sell easier if you include the cost of shipping in the total cost. But, shipping can be expensive! Think through how much shipping will cost when you are setting the price of a clothing item. You can estimate shipping costs with online resources before marking the price of your clothing.
5. Thoroughly clean your items 🧼
This may seem like a given, but you would be surprised at how many people donate or sell their clothes without cleaning them first! Give your clothes a good wash and iron them out before listing them. Bonus: This will also make the items appear better in photos, improving your odds of a sweet, quick sale.
6. Add shiny new details ✨
If you’re crafty and have some extra time, adding some new buttons or little details to your used clothing could level up your items. Not only will it give your clothes a new life, but it will make a new, unique item. Adding something as simple as lace or fringe could give your clothing the edge it needs to attract a buyer.
Now, it’s easier than ever to sell your old clothes and join the up-cycling community. So if you’re ready to make some extra money while saving the environment at the same time, this could be your sign. See you in the world of online consignment!