In This Article
Here at Chime, we love creating new mobile features to make your life easier. And when it comes to must-have, can’t-do-without essentials, depositing a check on your phone ranks right up with checking your balance and sending money to friends and family.
Keep reading to learn everything about depositing a check in the Chime app, any time of day, from wherever you are.
How to use mobile check deposit in the Chime app
Follow these steps to deposit a check through the Chime app:
- Double-check your name on the check. Make sure it matches what’s on your Chime Checking Account exactly.
- Sign the back of your paper check.
- Open the Chime app, tap Move Money (at the bottom of your screen), then tap Mobile check deposit.
- Follow the in-app prompts, which will walk you through the rest of the process.
As a Chime member, your eligibility to use mobile check deposit is based on your direct deposit history. For instance, you can deposit a check in the app if you’ve received at least $1 from an employer or payroll provider, a gig economy payer, or government payments (SSI benefits apply, but not tax refunds).
Chime accepts direct deposit payments that are automated clearing house (ACH) transfers. If it’s a gig economy payer, we also accept direct deposit payments that are Original Credit Transaction (OCT).
Mobile Check Deposit will automatically be available on your app one business day after you receive your qualifying direct deposit.
Who can use Chime's mobile check deposit?
To be eligible for a mobile check deposit on the Chime app, you’ll need to be a Chime member who has received a direct deposit of at least $1 from an employer or payroll company, gig economy payer, or government benefits.
Plus, your check will need to fall under the following criteria:
- Is payable to you as the sole recipient in U.S. dollars
- Is dated within the last six months
- Is free of illegible items, signs of fraud, tweaks, or changes
- Hasn’t been previously deposited at another institution
- Is from a financial institution that’s in the U.S.
- Isn’t a digital reproduction
- Wasn’t created remotely (created by a merchant and doesn’t include the buyer’s original signature)
Is Chime's mobile check deposit instant?
It can take up to five business days for money to show up in your account. In most cases, though, mobile check deposit is fairly quick.
Why is there a hold time? On our end, it helps make sure the check doesn’t bounce. It also allows us to clear more checks through our app.
After you deposit a check through the Chime app, hang tight. You can expect your funds to appear in your account in five business days or less.
Want to try to speed up how long mobile deposit takes? Make sure the check is against a solid, dark background, and endorse your checks in ink, ideally in blue or black.
Here’s what could speed up mobile check deposits:
- A clear photo of the check
- An accepted type of check (aka personal checks, business checks, cashier’s checks, government-issued checks)
- Depositing before the end of the business day
- A check for a smaller amount (Our check deposit limit is $2,000. Smaller amounts often process faster)
On the flip side, depositing a check at night, depositing on a bank or federal holiday, or depositing a check for a larger amount could delay your mobile check deposit.
Can you see a pending deposit in the Chime app?
Yes. You can see pending deposits on the Activity page of your Chime mobile app. Pending deposits appear in gray, then will change to green once the funds are available. In other words, if a deposit is in gray, you won’t be able to access it yet.
What to keep in mind for Chime mobile check deposit
To make sure your mobile check deposit gets accepted without any issues, you’ll want to take a clear photo and know what types of items are accepted.
How to take a picture of your check
Taking a readable picture of your check can make the difference between your mobile check getting accepted or rejected – and that money getting into your account faster.
Here are some pointers on photographing your check:
- Place the check against a dark, solid surface.
- Use good lighting, like a bright artificial light source or natural light coming from a window.
- Check the focus on your camera.
- Keep all four corners of the check in the photo.
- Deposit checks that are wrinkle- and crease-free.
Items that are not eligible for mobile check deposit
To spare you from going through unnecessary trouble, learn what types of checks aren’t eligible for mobile check deposit.
You can’t deposit money orders, traveler’s checks, savings bonds, starter or temporary checks, or non-negotiable instruments (promissory notes).
On the other hand, you can deposit personal checks, business checks, cashier’s checks, and government-issued checks (i.e., stimulus checks and tax refunds).
Mobile check deposit best practices
Here are some tips to keep in mind when using our mobile check deposit feature:
1. Double-check your signature. When endorsing a mobile check deposit, look over the name on the front of the check to make sure it’s exactly the same as the name you sign on the back.
2. Stay within the “Endorse Here” section. The endorsement area is usually on the top back of the check. Do your best to keep your signature on the line – along with other relevant information – when signing a check for mobile deposit.
3. Wait to endorse the check. For security purposes, you’ll want to hold off on endorsing your check until you’re ready to make the deposit. When a check is endorsed, it can be cashed or deposited by anybody – even if that person isn’t you.
How long does it take a check to clear on Chime?
It might take up to five business days for your money to appear in your account. This allows for more checks to get processed through our app and ensures the check doesn’t bounce.
Note: Checks for smaller amounts might mean faster processing times. On the flip side, larger amounts could result in a delay.
What is Chime's mobile deposit limit?
Chime’s initial total monthly check deposit limit is $10,000. You can deposit checks up to $2,000 in value, and you can deposit up to 10 checks per month until you hit your monthly deposit limit. Some members might be able to access higher limits based on their history.
Can I deposit a check at an ATM with Chime?
You cannot deposit a check at an ATM. You should use a mobile check deposit if you’re a Chime member. If you’re at one of Chime’s 60,000 fee-free ATMs,¹ you can get cash where you shop.
How do I get a paper check from Chime?
Chime doesn’t offer a physical checkbook. But you can pay bills by sending a paper check through the Chime Checkbook feature, accessible on the Chime website or in the app.
You can tap into this feature once your account has been open for 30 days and your Chime Visa® Debit Card has been activated.
Here’s how to send a paper check through Chime Checkbook:
1. Log in to your Chime account at www.chime.com Or with the app.
2. In the Move Money section: On the website, choose Checkbook from the Pay Bills dropdown menu. In the app, choose Mail a Check.
3. Add recipient information.
4. Mail your checks to anywhere in the 50 states. (We can’t send checks internationally.)
Chime mobile check deposit: easy as 1,2,3
Mobile check deposit is a convenient way to deposit your checks with a few clicks on your phone. Knowing the ins and outs will make for a smoother process, so you can rest assured your money will be in your account when you need it.
Read how to make a mobile check deposit for more check depositing tips.