Do you need to deposit a check fast but don’t want to go to the bank or currency exchange?
Mobile check deposit comes in handy when you want to access your money without leaving your home.
With this feature, you just take a picture of your check in your banking institution’s mobile app and enter the amount. Then, it gets deposited to your account shortly after.
Chime members can make mobile check deposits once they set up direct deposit. We process checks as quickly as possible, but there still may be a small waiting period.
How long does mobile deposit take?
Mobile check deposit allows you to deposit your checks remotely from your mobile phone anytime. Your money is usually available within one business day, but it can take up to five business days.
Every bank’s policies differ on mobile check deposit timing. Some banks offer same-day or next-day mobile check deposits for a small fee. Banks might also clear a smaller amount of the check you deposited immediately and then clear the remainder of the money within a few business days.
When you deposit a check through a mobile banking app, there might be a disclaimer stating when you can expect the money to be available. Banks should also send email or text notifications if there’s a temporary hold on the deposit so that you’re aware.
What can cause a check to be rejected?
Check that you’re using your banking app’s mobile check deposit feature correctly to avoid any delays. Small details could delay your check from getting to your account.
Here are some common reasons why your funds could be delayed when depositing a check online.
- Prohibited types of checks: Most banks don’t accept third-party checks, money orders, or checks from foreign countries. If you deposit an unsupported check type, your check will likely be rejected. If you are able to submit a check that your institution doesn’t accept, the funds will likely not be made available to you, and you’ll need to deposit the money another way.
- Limits on mobile check deposit daily amounts: Make sure your check doesn’t exceed your financial institution’s deposit limits. Your check might be rejected if your bank has a maximum daily deposit limit.
- Incorrect amount listed: Another issue that could delay access to your funds is indicating an amount that doesn’t match the check amount.
Let’s say you have a check for $567 that you’d like to deposit through the mobile app. When filling out the mobile check deposit request form, you accidentally enter a check amount of $577. The app may automatically detect that this is incorrect and prompt you to change the amount you listed. Or, it could cause a delay in accessing your funds since the numbers don’t match.
- No endorsement: You must endorse your check by signing the back of it before attempting a mobile check deposit. Some banks may also require that you add a phrase like “for mobile deposit only” underneath your signature.Check your institution’s requirements for mobile check deposits in advance to ensure you can use the mobile app feature for your check.
Which banks make funds available immediately?
No check is available immediately.
Banks place holds on checks to make sure the payer’s account has enough funds to send you the money. This practice protects you and the bank from returned payments.
The timeline for this verification process varies by institution.
Realistically, you shouldn’t have much trouble receiving your check funds in one to three business days if:
- Your account is in good standing.
- You’ve successfully made mobile check deposits in the past.
- Your check amount does not exceed your institution’s daily deposit limit.
Hold tight: most mobile check deposits clear within one day
If you’re already using a mobile banking app, mobile check deposit is a feature that can save you time and effort. Make sure you have the right kind of check and know your banking institution’s rules for mobile deposit.
Signing up for direct deposit when possible can also help get you paid faster, especially when receiving regular payments from an employer or government agency.
Learn how to make a mobile check deposit now that you know how long it might take to see the funds in your account.
Are mobile check deposits available instantly?
In most cases, no. Some banks allow you to receive your funds immediately if you pay a fee. Or, they may allow a portion of your check, like $200, to be available in your bank account immediately. In other cases, you will need to wait at least one-to-five business days for the full check amount to be available.
What is my mobile deposit limit?
Mobile deposit limits vary by institution. Your institution may disclose this information when you log into your account and attempt to make a deposit. You can also find this information by calling the number on the back of your banking card, reviewing your account agreement form, or in the settings of your mobile banking app.
What do I do with my check after mobile deposit?
Once your mobile check deposit clears in your account, you should void your check. Write “void” on the paper check in blue or black ink, and put it somewhere safe for your records.