Chime® is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services, credit, and debit card provided by The Bancorp Bank, N.A. or Stride Bank, N.A., Members FDIC.

How to File Taxes for The First Time

Sophie Isbell • December 7, 2023

Filing taxes can be intimidating when you haven’t done it before. Whether you’re expecting a tax refund or owe taxes, our step-by-step guide breaks down exactly how to file taxes for the first time. 

An illustrated list breaks down the steps for how to file taxes for the first time.

Better online banking

  • Checking Account with no monthly fees
  • 50,000+ fee-free ATMs~
  • Chime Visa® Debit Card
Get Started

1. Know if you need to file this year

First, determine if you even have to file your taxes this year. If you’re single with no children and had a gross income of $13,850 or more in 2023, you have to file.¹

Whether you need to file or not depends mainly on your income, age, and filing status. Review the IRS filing requirements, which lay out the criteria for whether or not you’re required to file. You can also use this handy tool from the IRS to find out if you’re required to file taxes or not.

Chime tip: If you’re a first-time tax filer, check out this tax terms glossary to learn the terms you might come across.

2. Gather your necessary tax documents

When preparing to file taxes, you need to gather your income documents, including W-2 form(s), 1099 form(s), and/or K-1 form(s). You should also collect your personal documents, including your Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number, personal identification (with your name and birth date), and your financial account information.

Form:Who it’s for:When to use:
W-2 FormEmployeesTo report income earned, including wages and tips
1099-MISCFreelancers or independent contractors If you received $600 or more in payments from a client during the year
1099-INTAnyone with interest-earning bank accountsIf you earned over $10 in interest during the year on an interest-bearing account (e.g., savings account, certificates of deposits, or money market accounts) 
1099-DIVShareholders of corporations If you own stocks or investments and received dividend payments totaling $10 or more
1099-GAnyone who received government payments If you received unemployment benefits or a state tax refund during the year

An image of a woman working on her taxes at her desk accompanies a list of essential documents for tax filing.

Income documents

You use income tax documents to report all earned income for the tax year. You’ll need to fill out different forms depending on your different sources of income. Here are some of the most common income forms to know: 

  • W-2 Form: If you’re an employee, your employer provides this form that lists your wages and taxes withheld.
  • 1099-MISC: If you’re a freelancer, independent contractor, or otherwise self-employed, you should receive this form from each client who paid you $600 or more.²
  • 1099-INT: If you have a bank account that earns interest, like a high-yield savings account or certificate of deposit (CD), use this form to report any interest earned. 
  • 1099-DIV: Use this form to report dividend income earned from investments you own, such as stocks or mutual funds. 
  • 1099-G: If you received government payments like unemployment benefits, you’ll report those payments on this form.
  • K-1 Forms: You’ll receive these if you’re a partner in a partnership or shareholder in an S-corporation.

Personal information

You’ll need the following personal information on hand to file taxes:

  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) for yourself and any dependents
  • Full name and date of birth for all individuals on your return.
  • Proof of identity with a valid photo ID
  • Bank account information, including your routing and account numbers, if you want to receive your tax refund via direct deposit.

3. Determine your filing status and dependency status

Your filing status affects your tax rates, how you report your income, and the credits and deductions you can claim. Also, knowing whether your parents can claim you as a dependent on their tax return can significantly impact your filing status. 

​​What is my filing status?

Here are the five primary filing statuses: 

  • Single: If you’re unmarried.  
  • Married (filing jointly): For married couples who want to combine their income on one return.
  • Married (filing separately): For married couples filing separately.
  • Head of household: For unmarried individuals who support dependents.
  • Qualifying widow/widower with dependent child: If you’re a surviving spouse with a dependent child. 

When you file your taxes, include the appropriate filing status on your forms. 

​​Can I be claimed as a dependent (or claim a dependent)?

If you still live with or receive financial support from your parents, they may be able to claim you as a dependent. Even if you’re filing your own taxes, ask your parents or guardians if they plan to claim you as a dependent on their tax return. This way, your parents can take advantage of the tax benefits of having a dependent. 

What happens if I’m claimed as a dependent? 

You can’t claim a personal exemption on your tax return if someone claims you as a dependent. However, it can provide certain tax benefits for the person claiming you, like qualifying for head of household status or eligibility for certain tax credits.

4. See if you qualify for tax deductions and credits

Tax deductions and credits can help reduce your tax bill or increase your tax refund, so you want to find out if you qualify for any before you file. 

Below are some common tax deductions and credits that you may qualify for. Review all available credits and deductions on the IRS website to see if you qualify. 

Family credits and deductions:

  • Child Tax Credit: A credit that provides financial relief to parents by reducing their tax liability for each qualifying child.
  • Child and Dependent Care Credit: This credit helps offset the cost of child care expenses.
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC): Geared toward low to moderate-income individuals and families, the EITC is a refundable credit designed to supplement earnings.
  • Adoption Credit: A credit that assists with the costs associated with adopting a child, including adoption fees, court costs, and travel expenses.

Education credits and deductions:

  • American Opportunity Credit: This credit supports the cost of qualified higher education expenses during the first four years of post-secondary education. 
  • Lifetime Learning Credit: A credit that helps cover the costs of post-secondary education, including tuition and related expenses, for eligible students. 
  • Student loan interest deduction: This deduction allows you to deduct the interest paid on qualified student loans.
  • Educational expenses deduction: This deduction covers certain educational expenses. 

Homeowner credits and deductions:

  • Home Energy Tax Credits: A credit for homeowners who make qualifying energy-efficient home upgrades.
  • Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit: A credit for homeowners investing in energy-efficient home improvements. 

5. Decide where to file

Four images of people working on their taxes accompany a list of four options for where to file your taxes.

Once you’ve gathered your necessary documents and understand your filing status, it’s time to decide where and how you want to file your taxes. Here are some options to consider:

Filing online

Perhaps the most convenient and popular method, filing your taxes online is a straightforward process. There are a variety of online platforms to choose from, and many of them are free. One official option is IRS Free File.

Filing with a tax professional

If your tax situation is complex or if you’d prefer professional guidance, you can work with a tax professional like a certified public accountant (CPA) or an enrolled agent. This option may come with a fee, and the total cost depends on the tax preparer and how complex your tax situation is. 

Filing through nonprofit organizations

Nonprofit options like the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program can help you prepare your taxes for free if you qualify. Check with local organizations or visit the IRS website to find a VITA or TCE near you.

Paper filing

While less common today, you can still file your taxes on paper by obtaining the necessary tax forms and mailing them to the IRS. Filing your taxes by hand is typically more time-consuming and may delay your tax refund, but it’s an option if you prefer a traditional method. 

6. File your taxes

Once you’re ready to file, review your tax return for accuracy. Check that you’ve reported your personal information, income, deductions, and credits correctly.  

  • Filing online: There should be prompts to verify information within the platform you choose. For an easier process, check the accuracy of the information on each page before clicking to the next one.
  • Filing with a tax professional: Tax professionals are responsible for checking their work, but make sure you’ve provided them with the correct information upfront. Request they walk you through it for added peace of mind.
  • Filing through nonprofit organizations: If you’re working with a nonprofit organization, you may need to attend scheduled sessions in person and bring all necessary documents so they can help you submit your return. 
  • Paper filing: Carefully complete all required forms, attach supporting documents, and mail the package to the appropriate IRS address. Double-check for accuracy and include a signed copy of your return.

Remember to file your signed and dated return by the tax deadline to avoid any late penalties. The deadline to file 2024 taxes is April 15, 2024.³

Five illustrated icons accompany a list of five common mistakes to avoid when filing your taxes for the first time.

Chime tip: Set up direct deposit with the IRS to get your refund sooner. It’s secure, eliminates the risk of lost or stolen checks, and ensures that your money is available to you as soon as the IRS processes your refund.

No matter your filing method, you can select direct deposit as your refund method when filing your taxes. Input your bank account number and routing number for the account where you’d like to receive your refund.

Get your federal tax refund up to six days early* when you direct deposit with Chime and file directly with the IRS.

7. Pay the IRS if you owe taxes

After filing your taxes, you’ll either receive a tax refund or a notice of the amount you owe to the IRS. If you end up owing money, you may not have withhold enough taxes from your paycheck throughout the year. 

In this case, you’ll need to know how to pay what you owe. You have a few options:

  • Use IRS Direct Pay: This online service lets you pay your tax bill directly from your bank account. It’s a secure and convenient way to pay the IRS without any fees. 
  • Pay with a credit or debit card: You can pay your taxes using a credit or debit card through authorized payment processors, but this method includes fees. 
  • Pay in installments: If you can’t pay your tax bill in full, you may be eligible for an installment payment plan with the IRS. This allows you to pay your tax debt over time in manageable installments. 

Whichever method you choose, pay what you owe on time to avoid any penalties.

8. Confirm you received your direct deposit or check if you're due a refund

If you file your return online and request direct deposit, you can typically expect to receive your refund within 21 days.4 However, this timeline may change depending on the IRS’s workload and any issues with your return.

Conquer your first tax season confidently

Whether you expect a refund or owe taxes, be proactive for a smooth tax season. Take the time to gather your documents, understand your filing status, and explore potential deductions and credits that can maximize your refund. 

To get your refund as soon as possible, don’t forget to set up direct deposit through Chime for a faster refund.

Before you file your taxes, learn how to find out what tax bracket you’re in.

Better online banking

  • Checking Account with no monthly fees
  • 50,000+ fee-free ATMs~
  • Chime Visa® Debit Card
Get Started

Chime® is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services are provided by The Bancorp Bank, N.A. or Stride Bank, N.A., Members FDIC. The Chime Visa® Debit Card and the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Credit Card are issued by The Bancorp Bank, N.A. or Stride Bank pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. and may be used everywhere Visa debit and credit cards are accepted. Please see the back of your Card for its issuing bank.

While Chime doesn’t issue personal checkbooks to write checks, Chime Checkbook gives you the freedom to send checks to anyone, anytime, from anywhere. See your issuing bank’s Deposit Account Agreement for full Chime Checkbook details.

By clicking on some of the links above, you will leave the Chime website and be directed to a third-party website. The privacy practices of those third parties may differ from those of Chime. We recommend you review the privacy statements of those third party websites, as Chime is not responsible for those third parties' privacy or security practices.

Third-party trademarks referenced for informational purposes only; no endorsements implied.

Opinions, advice, services, or other information or content expressed or contributed here by customers, users, or others, are those of the respective author(s) or contributor(s) and do not necessarily state or reflect those of The Bancorp Bank, N.A. and Stride Bank, N.A. (“Banks”). Banks are not responsible for the accuracy of any content provided by author(s) or contributor(s).

* Chime does not guarantee timing of refund. Six day refund estimate is based on 2022 tax year filing data. Refund timing estimates are dependent upon timing of complete tax return submission and other requirements.

1 Information from IRS’s Publication 501: (2023), Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information as of November 2, 2023:

2 Information from IRS’s About Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Information as of November 2, 2023:

3 Information from TurboTax’s Every Tax Deadline You Need To Know as of November 2, 2023:

4 Information from IRS’s Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions as of November 6, 2023:

~ Out-of-network ATM withdrawal and over the counter advance fees may apply.

Address: 101 California Street, Floor 5, San Francisco, CA 94111, United States.

No customer support available at HQ. Customer support details available on the website.

© 2013-2024 Chime Financial, Inc. All rights reserved.